Sunday, March 7, 2010

SPRING BREAK Math 1 :D

Finally it's spring break! I'm very excited that I'm free from school and for two weeks I can sleep in and hang out with friends and do whatever. However, this doesn't mean I will be playing and be lazy all the time. I should some how function my brain so that it wouldn't shut down on the first day when I go back to school. -_-

So I decided to work on the P. Math 10 Practice Unit Tests package given by Mr. Cheng (how was your trip Mr.Cheng?). ^^

I went over few questions and most of things were very familiar to me and I thought I might challenge myself by trying to solve a question from the back. It was one of those annoying time questions that I really disliked. Although, I thought it wouldn't hurt to try, so I did. I carefully looked over the solution of that particular question and solved another question with similar logic.

Question:

Ann entered a race which required a run of 10 km north then a bike ride of 120km west. Determine her running speed if she cycled ten times faster than she ran and the total race took her 4 hours to complete. Answer to one decimal place.

Seems quite complicated doesn't it? It took a while for me to understand what this question was asking me and I needed to know how I could solve this problem and know how to set it up.
Let's think slowly and find solution little by little.

We all know that D x V = T (Distance x Velocity= Time) So let's make a chart based on the information we have.
Now the chart above makes solving this problem easier.

Now we have to find her running speed and how are we going to do this? Well, let's try it this way. The second last sentence of the questions clarifies that it took about 4 hour to complete the race.
That was our first step of our equation. Now let's solve the rest of the equation.




This was how I solved this question. I really enjoyed solving this one (even though I don't really like these question and can't solve them very well) This won't be my only blog I'm going to post over the Spring break. (Notice my title! There is "1" at the end of the sentence meaning there are more to come!) >.<

So I will keep you guys posted and hope that you guys would have SPLENDID SPRING BREAK! WHOOT








No comments:

Post a Comment